A very happy birthday, including the OT realm :)

Today I got approximately 40ish Facebook messages, 20 texts, 10 phone calls, several emails, and several cards/packages/gifts….a very nice day. It started with text messages late last night, then I got a happy birthday song at 8am by a family, then throughout the day got lots of texts/phone calls although they all had to go to voice mail of course since I was working!

Speaking of work, today was my first truly good day as an OT student. For one thing my OT and COTA gave me a present!! Which was so sweet of them. A beautiful bracelet with earrings. 🙂 I definitely didn't expect it, it was quite kind of them.
My day Of course was helped by the fact I got all the easiest patients, but still! I did my chart reviews of the new evaluations, discussed with my supervisor the three knee replacement (day after surgery) evals I'd be doing, one of which was a bizarre case involving patellar fractures and leg immobilizations, and discussed a courtesy consult I'd be checking out. I did all three evaluations in the total joint unit and didn't skip any major steps, spoke slowly/clearly, was personable, got needed information relatively quickly, asked the nurses for permission, kept track of time, etc etc. Then did my courtesy consult, and got done 11ish, and then went down and did evaluation paperwork until lunch. After lunch I went to go see a patient who had a stroke, and we did a thirty minute cognition session – he had improved DRAMATICALLY overnight – yesterday he couldn't retain more than 3 numbers, today he could retain phone numbers, perform 3-step commands, name objects, write his name, etc – all things he couldn't do yesterday. Pretty awesome. Then I went to go see a lady who was deconditioned but she got discharged right then. So today, all by myself, I did three evaluations, a courtesy consult, and a cognitive treatment. Of course I got some advice and discussion with my supervisor so I don't mean to make it sound like I was in a bubble, but it was a big deal that I was so independent! It's Week 4 so it's time, but because I've struggled with anxiety and have so much weakness in the phys dys arena, it's taking me a while to hit my stride. All my patients today were relatively high level – the low-level patients who need help with transfers are still way beyond me, I don't feel comfortable with them at all. Which I need to be. When it's slow I like to follow the PTs around for the lower-level patients because it involves a lot of bed mobility and basic sit-stand, things like that, which overlaps with OT, and I can pick up more tricks/tips.

Tomorrow will be the busiest day we've had since I got here – and the COTA only stays until noon and the outpatient OT may not be there since she had to go home for her sick daughter today. We have at LEAST seven evals plus 9 treatments! I can maybe do 3-4 of those evals and 1-3 of those treatments I guess…the key is that even though we're busy I need to not stress….just take deep breaths and handle it. While being safe.

When I read back on my day you might be like, big deal, but to me, it's a very big deal, because of my anxiety levels having been so high. I hope tomorrow I can handle the challenges.

After work I went to OTS Kerri's and we ignored each other because I had like twenty thousand phone calls to respond to, plus I had just found out Lester the Lion Kitty made Icanhascheezburger.com which is a HUGE deal, HUGE, because I love that site and it's kind of elite – only a few cats a day get put up but they get thousands of submissions. So I was really excited. Then we went to Mexican where we met up with OTS Jason, Minda, Becca, and Brooke….had a lot of fun and of course exchanged some fieldwork stories.

Overall it was a really nice day both at work and afterwards…I appreciate all the phone calls, txts, Facebook messages, emails, postcards, packages, etc….I am blessed to have wonderful friends and family. Thank you all!!

It's not even 10pm but I'm so tired that I think I'm going to quickly prep my OT stuff and then go to bed! I'm 26 now, and that's old, so it's acceptable that I'm so tired, right 🙂

Oct 22, 2008 | Category: Occupational Therapy | Comments: none

Blog Archives